Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bed Time

So, we are getting settled in to our new home and to everyone living under one (one very small) roof.  Since staying at my parents house the past few months our bedtime routine suffered (Grandparents have a hard time listening to their grand-kids cry).  Seamus got in the routine of having someone lay down with him until he falls asleep, which with a second child and a husband who is working in the evening does not work.  He also has been and has always fought naps and fought sleep in general.   I am trying to get back into a routine and get a more normal bedtime for him. This has not been easy, sometimes he "naps" at 2:00 and doesn't wake up until 6:00 so putting him to bed at 7:30 becomes very challenging.  Other times he naps at 10:00am and is ready for bed at 6:00.  It doesn't seem to matter what time he goes to bed (even if its 10 at night) he wakes up between 5:30 and 6:30 (maybe 7:00 if I am lucky).

What are your bedtime routines/bedtimes.  Is there anything that you have found that really works?

2 comments:

  1. I think "what works" is what works for your family! I know some families who's kids go to bed close to 10 since one parent works odd hours. I know some families who prefer long nap times and other who prefer longer nights. I lay down with Ansley for nap and bedtime until she is asleep (and she sleeps with us around 1:00am), and that's what works for us! I have found that having more consistent nap times help her be ready for bedtime. For her, a nap time that starts between 1:00 and 2:00 everyday... and she naps 1-2 hours. Then, we start getting her ready for bed around 7:30 or 8:00 depending on when the yawns start.

    You'll find a routine that works for you and your family adjusts to a new situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really been our philosophy too, Seamus still comes in bed with us most nights and I know a lot of people don't agree with it but I actually enjoy the extra snuggles and knowing that he still wants to be so close to us. I know a time is coming when he won't want us that close so I try to cherish it while I can :)

    ReplyDelete